Saturday, February 5, 2011

What's Your "Type"?

What's your type?

This question is probably familiar to most people, particularly single people. It's usually asked to determine the physical and personality traits that a person would find attractive in another.

Most people, I feel, may have certain qualities they're looking for in a partner, but they don't limit themselves solely to these options. For example, a friend of mine has specific characteristics he would like to find in a woman but he's not going to wait around until he meets someone who is a perfect match.

As I've written about previously (Dating), I'm really just looking for someone who can love me for who I am. This would seem to imply a lack of a "type." The more I've thought about it, though, the more I've come to realize that my "type" is feminine people. And I do use the word "people" very specifically. Whether the person happened to be born male or female doesn't really matter to me. I just find myself more attracted to feminine people.

As I said earlier, I'm not necessarily limiting myself to just this type. Even though I'm writing this now, I could be dating a very masculine person in a few weeks. Though I will say that probably my biggest turn off is overly masculine people.

So, what's your type?

2 comments:

  1. Question - could your turn off towards overly masculine people be because they tend to be the type who ridicule (or fail to understand or even try to understand) your transgendered-ness the most? Of course I could be totally making a judgment here.
    It's funny you post this topic. Last night my husband and I were talking... and I realize I totally have a type (and so does he). I don't think it's always conscious in our decision to date or not date someone, but I think over time, you may begin to see patterns. Of course, some people are way more open to what/who they find attractive. =) Either way, I am a firm believer there is someone out there for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the lack of acceptance or potential for ridicule may be part of the turn off. One of the ways overly masculine people assert their gender identity is by ridiculing or distancing themselves from those they perceive as different. They perceive associating with a transgender person as potentially leading to their masculinity being questioned.

    This isn't all there is to the turn off, though.

    ReplyDelete